The main focus of KMC is to support independent musicians in the Japanese music scene. Through efforts to bring artists from different cultures together, we create programs and events that always bring Japanese and non-Japanese musicians together on the same stage for a true intercultural experience.
What can participants get from joining KMC?
The KMC Executive Committee as well as the supporting organizations are all interested in supporting independent artists, so there may be business opportunities for participating musicians. Also, KMC offers other chances for musicians to take part in other events like performing at corporate events, competing in band contests and touring in different cities.
Dates: Sept. 15th - 17th
Venues: Bars, restaurants and live clubs in Osaka City & Kobe City
Production: KMC Executive Committee
Applications for a live performance spot
1) Applications will be accepted from Jan. 15th - Mar. 15th on this site.
2) No fee is necessary to apply. However, selected artists will need to pay a registration fee. (see details here)
3) Before applying, please note that musicians selected to perform at KMC will not be paid for their performance(s) nor receive payment for any expenses related to their participation in the conference.
4) Genres accepted are: Alternative, Blues, Classical, Electronic/Dance/DJ, Folk, Hip-Hop/Rap, Jazz, Latin, Metal, Pop, Rock, Urban/R&B, World, Gospel, Contemporary Christian, Acoustic, Americana, Contemporary Classical, Avant-garde, Holy Hip Hop, Punk, Funk, Adult Contemporary, Singer/Songwriter, Soul, A Capella
5) From Jan. 15th applicants using this site must complete the application in full. (Artists applying from outside of Japan must answer ALL questions.)
6) Be sure to include links to videos or tracks on sites like Soundcloud, Reverbnation, Youtube or CD Baby, or you can send 2 mp3 tracks to the e-mail address listed on the application form with the song titles clearly labeled for each song.
7) Press the "Send" button at the bottom of the form. Please review the information on the confirmation page carefully before pressing the "Send" button again. A confirmation mail will then be sent to the e-mail address included on the application form.
8) Once we have confirmed the receipt of your application and songs, we will process your application, however we may contact you with further questions.
9) Selection results will be announced by April 15th and applicants who have been selected will be notified by email.
10) All selected artists will have until May 1st to confirm that they will be attending, after which all unconfirmed spots will be offered to other applicants.
11) After confirming attendance, artists will be asked to provide further details for the conference registration process.
Please contact us if you have specific questions.
Applications to do a presentation or workshop
1) Applications will be accepted from Jan. 15th - Apr. 15th on this site only.
2) No fee is necessary to apply.
3) Before applying, please note that if selected to present at KMC, you will not be paid for your presentation nor will you receive any money for any expenses related to your participation in the conference.
4) Presentation / workshop topics that will be considered can range from traditional/culture music & dance to modern music, and musical performance techniques to advice about the music industry and promotion. Almost any music related topic that is of interest to a wide range of people will be considered.
5) Applicants must submit a video link of a prior presentation done on the same or similar topic in order for their application to be considered.
6) Press the "Send" button at the bottom of the form. Please review the information on the confirmation page carefully before pressing the "Send" button again. A confirmation mail will then be sent to the e-mail address included on the application form.
7) All applicants will receive a reply by April 30 regarding their potential to do a presentation / workshop.
8) All selected applicants will have until June 1st to confirm that they will be attending, after which any unconfirmed applicants will no longer be eligible for this year's conference.
9) Due to risk of cancellation, confirmed presenters not residing in Japan will be required to show proof of air travel by July 31st in order to keep their presentation spot. Please contact us if you have specific questions.